Misleading “notices of eviction” are currently circulating. Those misleading notices resemble the model notices available to the public through the Régie, and they inform lessees that they must “definitively vacate” so major work can be done on the building.

Those notices were made by falsifying certain model notices available to the public through the Régie. The misleading notices contain information that is not in compliance with applicable legislative provisions and that is likely to mislead lessees with regard to their rights.

A lessee is not required to comply with notices that contravene the provisions of public order provided for by law. If in doubt, a lessee can ask the court to rule on the validity of a notice.

The Régie reminds everyone that, under the law, a lessor can have a lessee temporarily vacate a dwelling in order to carry out major improvements or repairs other than urgent improvements, but for this purpose, the lessor must give prior notice to the lessee and offer the lessee an indemnity equal to the reasonable expenses the lessee will have to incur by reason of the vacancy. The indemnity is payable on the date the dwelling is vacated, and if the indemnity is inadequate, the lessee may be reimbursed for any reasonable expenses incurred over and above the amount of the indemnity.

The notice must inform the lessee of the nature of the work and the date set for the work to begin. It must give an estimation of the duration of the work, the necessary period of vacancy and the amount of the indemnity offered. The notice must be given at least 10 days before the date set for the work to begin. If a period of vacancy of more than one week is necessary, the notice must be given at least three months before the date set.

Moreover, if it necessary for a lessee to temporarily vacate, and if, within 10 days of receipt of the notice prescribed by law, the lessee does not inform the lessor of his or her intention to vacate or not, the lessee is considered as having refused to vacate. In that case, the lessor may, within 10 days of the refusal, ask the Régie to rule on the expediency of the vacancy.

Your Application Online

After the filing of an application at the Régie du logement, you have the possibility to follow-up the file on-line.

Follow-up of a file at the Régie du logement (in French only)

Filing an Application

Lessees and lessors who wish to exercise a recourse at the Régie du logement must use the application forms provided for that purpose.

The legal proceeding (recourse) is subject to certain formalities that must be complied with by all parties before they are summoned to a hearing.

This section deals with several subjects of interest for Filing an Application to the Tribunal.

Tools for Fixing the Rent

An online calculator is made available to lessors and lessees in order to help them negotiate a rent increase that is just and reasonable.

Simply use the online form Calculation 2019 Tool, available in French only.

It is also possible to print the short version of the Calculation 2019 form.


Whether you are a lessor or a lessee, the Régie du logement proposes some models of notices, which, depending on the situation, must be sent to the other party in order to comply with the obligations provided for by laws and regulations.

Certain forms are also suggested where you need to contact the Régie.

Consult this section to find all the models available.

You wish to complete a notice?

See all available notices

Frequent questions

  • My joint tenant left the premises. May I remain in the dwelling by paying only my share of the rent?


    The landlord has the right to receive the total amount of the rent. If he receives only a part of it, he can ask for the cancellation of the lease.

    For more information, see the section:

    Joint Tenancy

  • I cannot be present at the hearing so what must I do?


    I must obtain a postponement of the hearing to a later date and for that I must obtain the written consent of the other party and file it at the Régie.

    If I cannot obtain that consent, I can send a mandatary who will ask for the postponement or I can write to the Régie du logement and ask for the postponement of the case. The reasons for the asked postponement must be indicated. It would be well advised to remit a copy of that letter to the other party.

    Except in the case where I have the consent of the other party, the commissioner must decide if he accepts or rejects the asked postponement.

    For more information, see the section:

    Preparing for a Hearing

  • What is the rate increase determined by the Régie du logement this year?


    There is no fixed rate increase applied by the Régie du logement. Each case is treated specifically. The Régie takes into account, in calculating the rent variation, the income of the building and the municipal and school taxes, the insurance bills, the energy costs, maintenance and service costs. Also, it sees to apply a return on capital expenditures, if there were such expenditures, and indexes the net income of the building.

    In order to calculate precisely the rent variation for a dwelling, see the section:

    Calculation for the Fixing of Rent

  • If a tenant refuses the rent increase asked by the landlord, can he force the tenant to move?


    No. If the tenant refuses the rent increase, the landlord will have to go at the Régie du logement to file an Application to modify the lease. It is a different case if the building was built or transformed for a period of less than five years.

    For more information, see the section:

    Renewal of the Lease and Fixing of Rent

June 25 2019

The Régie du logement is just a phone call away

Part of category Appartment

On July 1, the Régie du logement will respond to inquiries from lessees and lessors.

See full article The Régie du logement is just a phone call away
June 17 2019

Moving Day - July 1

Part of category Lodging

In Québec, most housing leases end on June 30, with the result that many people move then each year.

See full article Moving Day - July 1
April 26 2019

Flooding - Legal aspects

Part of category Appartment

According to the Civil Code of Québec, superior force is an unforeseeable and irresistible event.

See full article Flooding - Legal aspects